Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Trying to go to Heaven with prejudice of heart.

Good Morning God. This sure is a great cup of coffee. I was just remembering when I received a letter of thanks from the Grand Cyclops of the KKK. He was thanking me for working with the white youth of the community. For near twenty years now, God, I have worked with people of all races and cultures and have a real heart for multicultural ministry. My good friend, Rev. Dennis Hall, once asked me what event transformed my life. You know God, as I reflected on his question, I came to realize that this is what you do in the life of every Christian.

God, it appears to me that this is exactly what John is addressing in First John 2:9-11. I am theologically convinced that if the Church is to ever win this world for you that it must first seek forgiveness for the prejudice that separates it so severely on Sunday mornings, lest the multitudes of churchgoers miss heaven altogether. Our churches are not only segregated by race, culture, and traditions, they are divided by denominational blindness. God, I am reminded of the Presbyterian Church down the street that refused to participate with a Baptist church I served as pastor. One of the elders told me that they would only participate with three other Presbyterian churches, and that they sure would not participate with a Baptist church. God, I am convinced that if we have a personal relationship with you son Jesus, that You will convict us of all prejudice in our lives, and lead us to seek your forgiveness and repentance. Prejudice knows no racial boundaries and no race or culture has a monopoly on it, but it is of this world and not of God. America’s churches have proven this by the development of denominational prejudice.What do you think, God, am I on target? Can a believer in Jesus have prejudice in his or her heart and get into Heaven?

Get yourself a cup of coffee and share your thoughts.

2 comments:

JRGrigg said...

Well I do agree, I might not always show it, but I believe that is true, a church, no matter what Denomination should always be working with any race or Church that follows Christ! People let the world change their judgement and it has been that way for so long I feel it will be hard to change. But I have seen some changes already around my area with curches of different denominations and races. So I think it can change, it may just take time. Oh and this was a good cup of mid day coffee for me.

Dr. Eddie G. Grigg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.