Friday, May 2, 2008

Need a Rock?

Nothing goes better with a great cup of coffee than the Word of God. Coffee with God helps me focus on the needs of the day and allows me to set priorities. Coffee and Scripture are two anchors in my life. As enjoyable as the smell of coffee brewing in the morning, or the first sip flowing down my throat in the morning, the closeness and readiness of God to commune with me is even sweeter.

Life's disappointments are many and sometimes the challenges seem more than I can accept. Yet, God, through His Word, comforts and consoles me, giving me strength to go on another day. Do you ever feel that evil and chaos surround you, and that you are being attacked spiritually, mentally, and physically? When you feel this way, are your friends swift to come and give support to you?

I use to know a vacuum cleaner salesman who would often say, “Humans are funny creatures.” I use to believe he was one of the funniest, but as I age, I see more truth in his cliché. People are quick to offer words of comfort to console you, but extremely slow to truly offer a happy hand. Tell a friend that you are struggling to make your house payment, and he will tell you he understands your struggle. At the same time that he is trying to console you, he is hoping that you do not notice his wallet is thicker than usual, and he is praying you do not ask him for a loan.

Nahum records that “The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; moreover, he knows them that trust in him” (Nahum 1:7). In your struggles, do not dwell on self-pity, but rather rejoice that God is good. Part of God's goodness is that He is unchanging. He is our Rock. We can anchor our lives to Him and find security in our stormy seas. Remember, God knows all who trust in him; this is one thing you and I cannot fake. Either we trust God, or we trust in our ability and possessions. As a young man, I believed I could do anything I wanted to do, but now as an older and wiser man, I understand that it is only in and through Christ that I achieve anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dr. G - keep the devotionals coming.