Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Making of a Great Nation



The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.”[Genesis 12:1-3]

In order to be a blessing to all people so that God can build a great nation, there are four specific traits that we must possess as individuals and shower upon others. In order to influence others, we must first treat them with dignity. Each man, woman, and child deserves to be treated with dignity because they are made in the image of God. Dignity has nothing to do with age, race, gender, etc.; it has to do with the image in which humans are created. It has to do with acknowledging that others possess a state of quality of being worthy of honor and respect.

Second, we are to be kind to others. Kindness is a trait we must learn to shower on others. Scripture clearly teaches us that we are to be kind to one another. Kindness is the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. This is why our Lord taught us to help those in need, to give to the poor, and to be considerate to those of various ethnicities and cultures. We are polite, respectful, and gentle in how we deal with others.

We are to love others regardless of their lifestyle, ethnicity, or wrongs committed. In fact, as Christians we are to have a special kind of love called agape love. This means that no matter what the other person does to us, we want the very best for them. How can we forgive a person who has brought serious harm upon us? We forgive then because we want the best for them, and for us.

When we learn to treat others with dignity, kindness, and love, we will begin to respect them too. Respect means that you possess a sense of appreciation for someone or something elicited by the other person’s abilities, qualities, or achievements.

In order for America to be a great nation, we must each learn to treat each other with dignity, kindness, respect, and agape love. I am not sure any human can cause this to happen in another person, but I can attest to the reality that the Jesus that indwells us can!


Prayer: Lord Jesus, forgive me when I have failed to treat others with dignity, kindness, love, and respect. Patiently mold and guide me to be more like you. Help me to see all humanity with the dignity you have bestowed upon them. Help me to treat others with a kindness and respect that points others to you, and most of all, help me to love others as you have loved me. Amen.
 

No comments: